Finding affordable apartments in Baton Rouge is a challenge. On average, more than 40 million people move each year. Over 80% of these migrants decide to take flight between April and September. As a bustling city, you can imagine how many people come in, leave, or even move down the street.
5 Tips for Finding Affordable Apartments in Baton Rouge
As another Louisiana summer approaches, you might find yourself searching for a change in scenery. Whether you’re looking to find a new place sooner or later, we’re here to help. Here are some tips on finding affordable apartments in Baton Rouge.
Set Your Budget
The first thing you’ll want to do is figure out a reasonable budget. What’s the best way to do this? By getting intimate with your pocketbook.
When you begin creating your rent budget, there are a couple of key points to pay attention to:
- Make a note of your annual and monthly income. It’s common for your monthly income to be three times the amount of rent. The average rent in Baton Rouge is just around $800.
- Take a look at your monthly expenses. Pay attention to bills, groceries, entertainment, and any other frequent transactions.
- You’ll want to figure out any moving expenses you may run into beforehand. Common moving expenses for apartments include moving costs, security deposits, and transportation.
Once you’ve got an idea of your monthly expenses, you can figure out how much you can spare for rent.
Scope Out the Neighborhood
It’s essential to do your research before signing off on a lease. Most people have an idea of what areas they’d want to live in after measuring up the pros and cons. Baton Rouge has plenty of affordable apartments to choose from. It’s still a best practice to keep the following questions in mind:
- What is the walkability score?
- What is the crime rate like?
- If you commute to work, how close or far away would you be?
- If you’ve got kids to think about, are there good schools in the area?
- Maybe you’ve got pets to worry about, is there a dog park nearby?
List Your Deal Breakers
Now that you’ve narrowed down your search, it’s time to get specific. Consider what amenities you’re willing to go without and which ones are non-negotiable. Make a list of these deal breakers and keep them in mind while considering apartments. This way, you can compile a short list of quality apartment complexes instead of a long list of maybes.
Consider a Roommate, It’s Cost-Effective
The search for the perfect apartment can be stressful. The cost of living in Baton Rouge seems to be on a steady incline, making it hard to discover affordable apartments. The easiest hack to affording an apartment out of your price range is finding a roommate. More often than not, the cost of a two-bedroom split down the middle is far more affordable.
When you schedule a tour of prospective units, you may run into one you like early on. Remember, slow and steady wins the race. Even if you love the first apartment you tour, hold off on signing the lease immediately. It’s important to measure all options together.
Once you’ve viewed all options, you have the opportunity to be picky. Make a list of features that you did or didn’t like in each unit. Which units rank higher than others? How do those units compare in price? Taking your time is sure to result in you making the most informed decision possible.
Ready to Find Affordable Apartments in Baton Rouge?
Start with us! Pine Square Apartments offers affordable living within Baton Rouge. We have 1- and 2-bedroom floor plans with vacancies currently available. Call us at 225-306-8001 or contact us online to schedule a tour.